We are expanding
our material know-how
and test services with
the DEKRA laboratories!
We are expanding
Do you need expert support when it comes to investigating material or component failures?
Are you looking for a test laboratory for a damage analysis on components or materials such as metals, plastics, elastomers, ceramics, composite materials?
We analyze and evaluate:
- Damage due to mechanical stress
- Damage from wear and tear and corrosion
- Thermal damage (heat generation, heat treatment)
- Damage to surfaces / coatings
- Hydrogen-induced damage
- Damage caused by manufacturing defects
In the area of damage analysis, we offer you our services based on VDI guideline 3822 (rules for systematic damage analysis).
Our task is to determine the cause of damage and to prevent damage, in which, in addition to material testing, material-technical advice and material selection are in the foreground.
- Recognition and determination of damage mechanisms on machines, systems and components
(e.g. housings, bearings, roller bearings, rollers, shafts, bolts, springs, valves, pistons, cylinders, wheels, gears, pipes, wire, ropes, screws, nuts, chains, tanks, bellows, exhaust gas recirculation, coolers, scissors, cutting, Pliers)
- Deriving possible causes of damage
- Definition of remedial measures
- Active damage prevention
In order to carry out a failure analysis or to be able to determine the damage pattern / type of damage on the material / component, several examination methods, analysis processes and measuring devices are used:
- Microscopy (light microscope – stereo microscope, plan microscope and scanning electron microscope)
- Fractography (macro and micro fractography)
- Metallography (Microsections, structure assessment, etc.)
- Chemical analysis
- Hardness testing of metals and plastics
- Mechanical-technological test (Tensile test, compression test, bending test (static and cyclic)
- Surface topography
- Weld seam evaluation and solder seam evaluation
- Sample production
For a successful failure analysis, the preparation of the often very small sample quantities and the precise selection of the area to be examined on the component are essential. In addition, all relevant information about the history of the damage case is helpful in clarifying the cause of the damage.
Our laboratory carries out failure analyzes in order to detect overload, fatigue and stress on materials, for example caused by corrosion or material defects. In the event of damage, a material analysis can also be helpful in finding the cause of the damage, determining damage mechanisms and component properties and providing remedial measures, also in order to avoid economic losses due to production downtime and consequential damage.
We use the following analysis methods:
- Fracture surface examinations using light and scanning electron microscopy (SEM)
- Types of fracture and forms of appearance of cracks and fractures (forced fracture, fatigue fracture, ductile fracture and brittle fracture, split fracture, sliding fracture, fatigue fracture, vibration strips and vibration lines, fatigue fracture, hardness crack)
- Fracture analysis / fractography / fracture mechanism / crack investigation:
- Determination of the fracture outcome (crack initiation) and cause
- Crystallographic examination
- Friction and wear studies
- Welding defects
- Corrosion, fretting corrosion, contact corrosion, pitting corrosion and crevice corrosion
Structural analysis of plastics: amorphous, partially crystalline and crystalline
Investigations using microscopy and scanning electron microscopy (SEM)